Pages

*** RESOURCES -- New Information is added often ***

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Auditions for Drag King Show -Ricockulous at Theater Off Jackson

I am passing this on for our wonderful Randy Andy.  I know some of you have been in this show and I hope you will be again.  I am so glad that Randy Andy continues to provide such great entertainment for our community.  Keep it up, I say!  Ms T.

Hello Everyone!  My name is Randy Andy and I have been doing drag in Seattle for about 10 years.  Last year I put on a Drag King Show, Hallelujah, A Drag King Revival.  They were two wildly successful sold-out nights at the Rendevous.  Well I’m back, with a new show (Ricockulous!) and a new venue (Theater Off Jackson) and now I want to kick the Drag King  scene another notch!  There’s a little more life in the drag king scene (we got Swank happening in Kent once a month, and if you don't know already there's going to be an awesome king/queen show at Little Red Studio this Wednesday called Full Royal Flush) than when I started last year, and I want to keep pumping life into my personal passion.


Like last time, I am holding auditions for this show.  It is going to be 100% professional and paid.  I don't care if you have been doing drag/burlesque/theater for a million years or if you have never been on a stage before, I am merely looking for 10-12 awesome drag acts.   My decision to use you will be based solely on your auditions and I look forward to seeing some seasoned performers in their element, crossover from other types of theater who are looking to try on a new persona, and brand spanking new folks who have thought about trying the king thing and but have lacked a stage to try it.


All I ask of you is since this is a drag king show, that you represent some form of maleness on the stage.  Use your imagination to take that definition wherever you please - the more genderfucked and mindbending the show, the better it will be.  This show isn't just about bio women taking the stage as men, bio dudes and transfolks are welcome and encouraged to audition.  Auditions will be held in my cabana in North Seattle on April 10th and 11th (there is plenty of parking and plenty of room to do your act here).  I have major flexibility around the times and if you want to try out but can't make those dates, contact me privately and I will work something out for you.  I also take pre-recorded auditions if you have done the act somewhere else- but be aware you’ll want to send me quality footage.  I don’t have the patience to figure out if an act is excellent or not if I am looking at a shaky camera or bad lighting.


I am looking for diversity, talent and people who have a damn good time doing their acts, all of which comes through to the audience.  I am willing to take up to two acts from an individual performer.  Please be prepared to audition all acts you want me to consider.  For the audition there is no need to come in costume (though you may if you wish or if your costuming is integral to your piece).  I need you to bring the song(s) and the length of the number(s).  You do not need to have a perfected piece, but are expected to perform a developed enough number that I have a good idea of what the piece is about and what it will look like in its final form on stage. All performers who tryout will be contacted no later than one week after auditions about whether or not they are in the show.

This show is paid and professional all the way.    I am well aware of the movement to pay performers what they are worth and I plan to hold to that.  For those of you who don’t know me I have also been sick for a long time and out of work so I have zero money to lose on these ventures.  So like last year, I have a guarantee of $35.00 (which I know isn’t market rate) and guarantee higher pay after my expenses are covered (venue and advertising).  I will not take a pay for myself before giving you your bonuses.  And anyone who worked with me at last year’s Hallelujah show knows I am true to my word, and very about up front about financial stuff.  Since I have TOJ this year, I’ve got a 150 seat capacity to work with.  If I can sell this show and idea, I can easily pay people much more than the guarantee.

Pass this email onto anyone and everyone you know.  I not only need performers but a stage tech, house manager, and door people.  I am insanely excited about this show and look forward to continuing the effort to re-kickstart drag, my beloved art, in a town that should in my opinion already have a crazy thriving drag community.

I can be contacted three ways:

fuzzylegs@hotmail.com
Phone 206-669-3146
You can friend me on facebook I’ve got a Randy Andy page.

Thank You Everybody,

Andy, aka Randy Andy

0 comments:

Label Cloud