Pages

*** RESOURCES -- New Information is added often ***

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Queer Intolerance!

Today I am doing two things that are semi-related and are reminders for me of how intolerant I am as a queer.  First, I am rejoicing as I see that our President Barack Obama has signed the first piece of civil rights legislation to protect our community once a hate crime has been committed.  Second, I am marking my ballot YES as I read the purposefully, confusingly, written Referendum Measure No. 71.  I quote my Snohomish County Local Voters' Pamphlet.

The legislature passed Engrossed Second Substitute Senate Bill 5688 concerning rights and responsibilities of state-registered domestic partners and voters have filed a sufficient referendum petition on this bill.  This bill would expand the rights, responsibilities, and obligations accorded state-registered same-sex and senior domestic partners to be equivalent to those of married spouses, except that a domestic partnership is not a marriage.  Should this bill be: 
Approved
Rejected

As I read this I pause and remember the conversation I had with a former co-worker the other day about this referendum.  I was quite surprised when he told me that he had not made up his mind on how he was going to vote on it.  We have been friends for almost 8 years and he knows I am queer and I am sure I pass as his token street creed "I have a friend who is ---".  I ponder this as I share with him some of the information on what occurred with Charlene Strong and Kate Fleming, Janice Langbeh and Lisa Pond (see blog posts) and some of my own experiences with the medical system's insensitivity to my orientation and the treatment or lack of treatment I have received.  We both worked for the same hospital and know the issues first hand and have discussed the normal shitty service yet?  I tried to keep our conversation in a "light" tone but felt intense and pissed off that he was even weighing a "no" vote.  I thought if a friend of mine was not sold on ref 71--what about the average bigot individual?

Yes, deep heavy exasperated sigh, I realize as I get older I too have joined the ranks of the intolerants.  In fact, I have to own it.  It has been brewing for a long time like a cup of tea that has set too long with a sagging tea bag that has become bitter and cold. I remembered a conversation I had shortly before the last Presidential election with a fellow that I enjoyed riding motorcycles with.  His comments only vaguely hide racist overtones about Barack and where he would move if...while he praised the ethics and morals of Palin and of course, her fuckability.  He was extremely wound up and spoke with hatred and venom in his voice.  I have not spoken to him since as my opinion of him changed that day.  Yes, I too am intolerant.  I also know when education will not help as I feel some people are far too ignorant to receive the lesson.


For information on todays progress see www.hrc.org/loveconquershate.


Ms T

0 comments:

Label Cloud