Pages

*** RESOURCES -- New Information is added often ***

Thursday, September 22, 2011

25th Annual AIDS Walk in Volunteer Park on Saturday September 24th

I remember the first days of the Seattle AIDS Walk when it was a small(er) event and there was still little known about HIV/AIDS.  I volunteered registering walkers on the day of the walk for several years and stuffed various packets in the office.  It was one of the few things that I felt I could do during a time of such helpless feelings.

By 1991 my world was shattered when I learned my brother Steven who I was extremely close to was HIV+.  I barely had any time to process the news when he had a freak accident causing a hairline fracture to a rib.  He received poor medical attention due to his HIV+ status and went into septic shock followed by a coma and death.  It has taken me many years to come to terms with the loss of him in my life.  I know many others have had similar experiences or feelings due to HIV/AIDS. 

I continue to wear a "Until there is a Cure" bracelet in his honor.  My heart is still heavy with the loss of my brother, friend and confidant and some days are better or worse than others.  The AIDS Walk is a great way to honor those that have passed and to assist those that are fighting these illnesses.  Check out their website for registration information. 
From the heart,
Ms T.

Join Lifelong AIDS Alliance and thousands of supporters for the 25th anniversary Seattle AIDS Walk & 5K Run. The Seattle AIDS Walk is Lifelong's largest annual fundraising event in support of those living with HIV and AIDS in our community. Walk with us on Saturday, September 24th, 2011 (9am-1pm) in Seattle's Volunteer Park as we honor 25 years of hope for a future free of HIV and AIDS. 

The walk will start at 10am in Volunteer Park, south down 12th Ave. to Union St., and returns to Volunteer Park via Broadway.

0 comments:

Label Cloud