Pages

*** RESOURCES -- New Information is added often ***

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2 Labyrinth Walks on New Year's Eve

Last year on New Years Eve I did my first Labyrinth Walk and I did not know what to expect.  I dressed warm as I thought it was outside which it was not.  I figured I would be walking withing walls of tall bushes but instead we were within a very large but warm church on Capital Hill.  There was a mat rolled out on the floor of the church that people were walking around.

It did get me to thinking how much power our expectations can have about events and how it can directly affect the experience.  I felt very open to doing the Labyrinth Walk but once I started found that I had 'feelings' about whether I actually knew how to do it.  It seemed some people had a very specific way of walking while others were more casual.  There were decisions that had to be made constantly on whether I yielded to people and in what way I did so.  Some of it depended on them too so there was a social aspect to the solitude of walking in one's own thoughts.

How did I turn my body and did I feel exposed or more exposed with some people by choice than others?  Did I not want to share the spare with certain people and why?  No one spoke a word but there was definite opinions formed immediately about each other.  I realized with one man in paticular that I took a dislike to his aggressive body language and he actually spoke to me and told me I had missed a line and was going the wrong way now.  He was the self appointed labyrinth anal police. 

I thought...what a nervy bastard to be more concerned with my spiritual walking path than his own.  In fact, I had crossed a line so I could change the energy as I was tired of passing him as he did not yield to anyone including me and I was having to bump into others to pass him.  Wow...he had Labyrinth RAGE, kinda like road rage but on a cotton mat caused by walking in circles for too long in one direction.  What a trip...not just confined to a car.  Never knew until I went for my quiet little walk.

I am considering going again this year.  All kidding aside, it was relaxing, peaceful and a good place to reflect on the years passing.  2009 has been mixed for me as I know it has been for many of you with losses, struggles, triumps and blessings.  I figure every little bit helps.  Ms T


Saint Mark's Cathedral, 1245 10th Ave. E., offers its candlelight Labyrinth Walk, accompanied by live music, from 6-8:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. to midnight. The labyrinth is based on an ancient sacred symbol used as a meditative tool. It's a replica of the stone labyrinth in the floor of France's Chartres Cathedral. The walk takes at least 20 minutes. The walk coincides with Compline, a Seattle tradition of nighttime prayers that are sung aloud at 9:30 p.m. Other labyrinths are offered on the grounds. All are welcome. Suggested donation: $5, $15 for families. Information: 206-323-0300, www.saintmarks.org

Saint James Cathedral, 804 Ninth Ave., presents a gala featuring its choir and organs in music of Mozart beginning at 11 p.m. Doors open at 7. Suggested donation: $25, at the door or cathedral music office, stjames-cathedral.org/music/.



FREE
Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:00 PM
Lake Washington United Methodist Church
525 132nd Ave. N.E., Kirkland, WA 98033
425-885-3311

Ponder the past year and enter into the New Year 2010 with new insight and a refreshed spirit by walking the labyrinth, an ancient pattern in the form of a walking path, used for contemplation, prayer, meditation, and accessing creativity and intuition; the labyrinth is for use by everyone, with or without a faith tradition, indoors on a 24-foot canvas floor cloth; all are welcome.

0 comments:

Label Cloud