Pages

*** RESOURCES -- New Information is added often ***

Monday, April 25, 2011

Rapper Lil B sings a gay tune

Rap Music has been controversial since the beginning in our society due to the raw lyrics and seeming disregard for basic unspoken norms.  It has been considered experiential and hip or edgy and obscene depending on the audience.  I cannot think of any group that has escaped a rap lyric, it is almost a rite of passage. 

Some in Rap believe that the use of certain inflammatory phrases/words assists in desensitizing the listener while also creating ownership and community for the members.  There are words that people in our community have done the same with to bring empowerment back to where they feel it belongs and remove the stigma and associated sting.  Of course, some of the exact same words/phrases can be seen as extremely negative depending on who is speaking them, and to whom.

While I am not current on Rap artists nor listen to it regularly, I saw this interesting article by GLAAD which I am posting in it's entirety.  I am interested in what Lil B's choice of wording will be on this 'message' CD and what the content of the songs will be.  I am curious if there will be a tie-in to the recent media attention focused on bullying and how damaging words can be.  This is a 'time will tell' scenario, for sure.  Ms T.

Rapper Lil B Responds to GLAAD
Posted: 22 Apr 2011 01:24 PM PDT

Last weekend [April 16/17], rapper Lil B announced at Coachella that he’d be naming his upcoming album 'I’m Gay.' 'I’m gonna do the most controversial thing in hip-hop,' said Lil B, who is straight. 'Ya’ll heard it first. And I’mma just show you that words don’t mean s–t. I’mma make an album called ‘I’m Gay,’ right.'

'Now I’mma tell you why I’m the first person to do it in hip-hop and why you’re the first people to know my reasons,' the rapper explained. 'I’m just gonna tell you. So many people be worried about what people mean and definitions of words and s—t…Now I like women, I love women, you feel me. But within yourselves, no matter what you do, it doesn’t matter, it’s like live life. You’ve only got one life to live. Be happy.'

In response, GLAAD issued a statement to hip-hop news and entertainment source, XXLmag.com saying, 'As a lyricist, Lil B knows that words matter. Slurs have the power to fuel intolerance. We hope that Lil B’s album title is not just a gimmick, and is really a sincere attempt to be an ally. He has the platform and the voice. We hope he uses it in a positive way.'

In a recent interview with MTV News, Lil B responded to GLAAD saying, 'I got major love for the gay and lesbian community and I just want to push less separation and that’s why I’m doing it. I hope GLAAD sees that I’m taking initial steps to break barriers.'

GLAAD thanks Lil B for his response and commends him for taking steps to promote acceptance.
Thanks to GLAAD for this article.


0 comments:

Label Cloud